Benefits of Couples Counselling
Relationship Therapy or Couples Counselling deepens our understanding and acceptance of each other as well as giving us the tools to communicate more fruitfully with each other. It is a rich experience, and, potentially, one with the greatest opportunity for personal growth.
Most couples report a sense of relief and clarity within a few weeks of undertaking couples therapy. Using practical and effective strategies and exercises, Side by Side Counsellors can help couples get to the heart of emotional communication issues that often generate negative patterns of arguing, fighting and disconnecting.
There are many reasons why couples come into Couples Counselling. Here are some common reasons:
- Poor communication
- Different goals or priorities
- The impact of addictions
- Mismatched desire (libido) or change in sexual intimacy
- Declining sexual intimacy
- Lack of emotional closeness
- Drifting apart and feeling disconnected in your relationship
- Extra-marital affairs, cheating or online infidelity
- Insecurity and lack of trust
- Constant bickering, arguing or fighting.
- Job loss or stress at work
- Pressure over finances and the way money is spent
- Difficulty working as a team and making decisions together
- Managing the anxiety of becoming parents for the first time
- Dealing with entering into a new stepfamily arrangement
- Empty nest and adjusting to major change
- Domestic Violence
- Division of labour, fairness in who does what
- You don’t need a referral from your GP for couples counselling.
Couples in Crisis
We also offer intensive sessions for couples in crisis or those who want to put aside all of life’s distractions to prioritise relationship satisfaction and well-being.